Cherry Bourbon Pie for The Win
Happy National Pie Day! You ask, how can we even cook pies on a grill? We’ll tell you…Place pies in 400 Fahrenheit covered grill for 15 minutes. Then to reduce heat, just take the lid off and set aside to let the pie cook openly for an additional 30-45 minutes, or until the crust is browned the way you like it. Be sure to let it cool before enjoying!
We decided to take on of our favorite pie recipes and grill it. Baking The Goods has one of the best recipes. Scroll through to get the ingredients and directions to grilling the ultimate cherry pie on National Pie Day!
Photo Credit: Baking The Goods
- fresh red cherries, pitted and halved – 5-6 cups
- orange – 1 (2 strips of zest and 2 tablespoons of juice)
- bourbon – 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon
- brown sugar – 1/2 cup
- tapioca starch – 2 tablespoons
- granulated sugar – 1/4 cup
- vanilla – 1 teaspoon
- bitters – 1 teaspoon
- turbinado sugar – 1 tablespoon
- egg – 1
- You will need a single disk of prepared pie dough, you can’t go wrong with my All Butter Vodka Dough Recipe.
- Pit and halve 5-6 cups of cherries and set aside in a mixing bowl. Peel two 1″ wide strips of orange peel and add to cherries.
- Combine the cherries, brown sugar, granulated sugar, 1/4 cup of bourbon and orange juice in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Add tapioca starch and simmer mixture over medium/low heat for about 5 minutes, until it begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and remove orange peel. Stir in vanilla and bitters. Transfer to a mixing bowl and refrigerate the filling until cool, about an hour.
- Preheat (we used the Fuego Grill) to 400°F.
- Remove dough disks from refrigerator and roll out the first disk into a 12″ round on a lightly floured surface. Gently transfer the dough disk into a 9″ pan, leaving a 1″ overhang all the way around.
- Store in the fridge.
- Roll the second dough disk out into a 12″ round and cut desired top crust design. To create the stripes and stars first slice the dough round into 1″ strips using a straight edge and a pastry wheel.
- Pour the cherry filling into the prepared pie shell. Use the cut strips to create a stripe design over the filling. Cut little stars from the remaining pie dough and decorate the pie as desired.
- Mix the egg and 1 teaspoon of bourbon together in a small bowl. Gently brush the top crust with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Grill for 20 minutes on 400°F. Lower the Grill temperature to 350° and Grill for another 25-35 minutes until the crust is a deep golden color. (With lid on)
- Allow to cool for at least an hour before enjoying. FYI, you have all the mixings to make yourself an Old Fashioned so why not pour yourself one while you wait. Here is a classic recipe from Imbibe.
The post Cherry Bourbon Pie for The Win appeared first on .